Friday, June 12, 2009

Vintage Sci-Fi/Fantasy book art

For my birthday, which was this last Monday, my friend Jessy gave me a bag full of Ray Brabury paperbacks. I love Ray Bradbury, so this was a lovely gift. I also found myself really loving the cover art for the books...







There's just something so unique and creative about vintage cover art. I wonder if it may have something to do with how, before the digital age of entertainment, books had a very prominent role in our popular culture. That isn't to say that they don't now, but it can be denied that, outside of phenomenon like Harry Potter and that godawful Twilight craze, interest isn't at the levels that it probably was back then.

Anyway, here are a couple of my favorites from recent searches:










( Lots Of Love for this one, ha)

3 comments:

Phillip Horlings said...

I really like the A. E. Van Vogt cover in particular. There really aren't enough lifetimes. Since I've studied music history I'm relatively aware of the parallel movements in the art world, but in terms of more contemporary things I know nothing. Like your Lenica post. I wish I could sit down with an artist and pick their brain about all the movements and styles and where we are now.

Or maybe I shouldn't, and keep the magic in it.

Matt Callahan said...

i'm trying to follow your shit but it won't work

candy said...

Eric has all those Ray Bradbury books with the weird covers! "Illustrated man" is a good one.